We are getting ready for spring here at Bluejean Corner, and these Calla Lily sandwiches are perfect for springtime tea parties, lunch, brunch, or garden parties. They are so easy to make! The best part is you can even make them the day ahead to save time for the day of your event.
You can choose a savory type cream cheese filling or makeup one of your own. Even simple mayo can work for a filling. The flavor in the sandwich comes from the filling and you can season it to your taste.
In my tea room, we were asked to make these mini sandwiches for bridal, weddings, baby, and garden parties. The ladies loved the presentation and commented that they were too pretty to eat. After taking a bite they would ask for the recipe.
Calla Lily Tea Sandwiches
- 1 carton of flavored cream cheese
- 12 slices of white bread
- paprika for color
- small baby carrots cut into 24 match stick strips
- bunch of green onions (green parts only) cut into 3" strips (need 24 stems)
- 2 1/2 inch round cookie cutter
- Use a 2 1/2 inch cookie cutter to cut out 24 bread rounds from bread slices.
- Flatten each slice with a rolling pin.
- Spread flavored cream cheese on all round slices.
- Place a carrot stick in the center of the round at the top with at least 1/2 inch lapping the top.
- Then place a green onion strip at end of the carrot strip and extend beyond the bottom of the sandwich.
- Sprinkle paprika over the filling for garnish.
- Next roll the bottom base part of one side over the green onion and press down. Then bring the other side of the circle together at the base to form a calla lily and press also.
- Place sandwiches in a container covered with a dampened paper towel as you assemble the remaining sandwiches to keep them from drying out.
- When finished making sandwiches remove the damp paper towel ad cover with plastic wrap, refrigerate until ready to serve
I look forward to spring and the beautiful days ahead.