This is a fun recipe to make all year round for lunch, brunch, or dinner. For another idea, I like to serve this soup in a teacup for a ladies lunch. Be sure to check out our other soup recipes!
Sweet Potato Soup
This sweet potato soup is so easy to make and is made with baked sweet potatoes and bacon for a great flavor. I like to bake my sweet potatoes the day before so they are cold and easy to handle.
- 3 large sweet potatoes baked
- 6 slices of bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (32-ounce) container of chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups whipping cream
- cooked bacon with onion and garlic
- fresh sage or herb of choice
- Bake sweet potatoes the day before. Wash and dry the sweet potatoes cleaning any bad spots. With a fork or knife poke holes in the sweet potato then rub with butter and wrap in foil. Place the sweet potatoes in a baking dish. I like to line the dish with foil for easy cleanup. Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 1 – 1 1/2 hours.
- In a large pot, cook cut up bacon, chopped onions, and garlic on medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon, onion, and garlic and drain on a paper towel. Save it for a garnish on top of the soup. Keep bacon drippings in the pot for later.
- Take sweet potatoes from the refrigerator. Peel skins off. Place in bowl and mash.
- In the same pot with the bacon drippings add mashed sweet potatoes, and two tablespoons of butter.
- Add a container of chicken broth, bay leaves, and salt. Stir till well mixed.
- Simmer on low heat for 2 hours.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Puree mixture with an emersion blender, or in batches with a regular blender.
- Add whipping cream. Blend well.
- Garnish with bacon topping, sage or other herb if desired.