I’m always asked how to prepare Artichokes, so here is a simple recipe you can share with friends. I like to pair it with a sandwich and maybe a dish of cottage cheese.
- 2 artichokes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pinch of dried thyme
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- For the artichoke use a serrated knife cut off the top of the artichoke. Cut each leaf with scissors so the points are gone.
- Add artichokes to a pot of boiling water with olive oil, salt and thyme cover with a lid. When the water starts to boil reduce heat to simmer. Cook until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain the artichokes up side down in a colander until they are cool enough to handle.
- Make dipping sauce. Warm butter a little and add the other ingredients until smooth. Refrigerate while artichokes are cooking.
- You may cut your artichokes in half and remove the purple and white center at this time or leave whole.
- Serve with dipping sauce.
- To eat artichokes, peel off a leaf at a time. Dip each leaf in dipping sauce and use your teeth to scrape off the meat of the leaf.