The combination of blueberries in the scone and the crumb topping made it one of our tearoom favorites. The scone has lots of blueberries and covered with a delicious crumb topping. Not only are they good-made mini-sized for tea parties or tea time, but I enjoy serving them for breakfast and brunch. A great gift for a neighbor fresh out of the oven.
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup frozen butter (1 stick)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon grated lemon peel (zest)
- 1 ½ cups fresh blueberries
- ½ cup flour
- 1/4 finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinamon
- 1/4 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper for baking.
- In a small bowl prepare the topping by stirring flour, brown sugar, chopped walnuts, and cinnamon.
- With a blender add butter and blend the mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs and set aside.
- In large mixing bowl add flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and stir all together.
- With a blender or fork add the butter cut into 1/2 inch cubes to the flour mixture. Mix until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In another bowl, add milk, eggs, and lemon zest and stir well together.
- Add egg mixture to flour mixture stir well until combined.
- Flour hands lightly and gently knead the blueberries into the dough until berries are evenly distributed. The dough will be sticky.
- Lightly flour hands again, and place dough on floured cutting board. Pat dough into 1-inch thickness.
- Sprinkle topping mixture evenly over the top of the dough to cover. Press crumb topping lightly to the dough. Now using a 2 ½ inch cookie cutter or glass, cut out rounds of dough and place on a cookie sheet. Gather all scraps together and repeat until all the dough is used. I use the scrapes and cut out smaller ones to freeze for later. (Scones can also be made and baked without crumb topping, just brush tops lightly with milk and bake)
- Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes or until dough is lightly browned. You may test with a toothpick in the center of the scone to see if it comes out clean.
- Take scones out of oven and with a spatula transfer scones to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes.
- Scones are best the day they are made, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days! Enjoy.