This sandwich cookie is great for tea parties. Can be frozen and saved for other occasions.
Walnut Lemon Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 egg yolks (egg whites save for egg wash)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups flour
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 4 tablespoons butter softened
- 8 ounce cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
- Cream together the butter and powdered sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg yolks. Gradually add all other ingredients except walnuts. Mix well.
- Divide the dough into two portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a log about 1 1/2 inch diameter. Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for 2 1/2 hours. I try to make it a square so as to look like square cookies when sliced.
- When ready to bake let frozen logs sit out for 10 minutes. Unwrap and cut in 1/4 inch slices. Place slices 1 inch apart on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle half the cookies with chopped walnut, gently pressing into dough. Brush nut cookies with whipped egg whites.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown around the edges. Place on wire racks to cool.
- In a bowl combine cream cheese butter and lemon juice. Gradually add powdered sugar and milk until smooth. Tint with yellow food color to desired color. Spread about one teaspoon of filling on each cookie without nuts. Place nut topped cookies over fillings.
These freeze well. Place each dozen in a zip lock bag and pull a bag out one at a time for entertaining.